Overview of the Certification
The AWS Certified Developer – Associate examination is intended for individuals who perform a development role and have one or more years of hands-on experience developing and maintaining an AWS-based application.
Certifications Offered by AWS
The certifications that AWS currently offers are
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
- These certifications cover the elements of AWS
- cloud-based services. The foundational-level certification is merely an
- introduction into cloud services. AWS recommends 6 months as the required
- experience. For intermediate-level certifications, it recommends 1 year of
- experience. In the professional-level certifications, 2 years is the
- recommended experience. SysOps Administrator and Developer certifications are
- combined in the professional-level certifications into the DevOps Engineer
- certification. In addition to this, AWS also offers certain specializations
- that are outside these segments
- AWS certified Advanced Networking Specialty
- AWS certified Security Specialty
- AWS certified Machine learning specialty
- AWS certified Alexa skill builder specialty
- AWS certified data analytics specialty
- AWS certified database specialty
Also Read ;
What are the Abilities Validated by This Exam?
- Demonstrate an understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS
What is the Recommended Knowledge and Experience?
- In-depth knowledge of at least one high-level programming language
- Understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices
- Proficiency in developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS
- Ability to use the AWS service APIs, AWS CLI, and SDKs to write applications
- Ability to identify key features of AWS services
- Understanding of the AWS shared responsibility model
- Understanding of application lifecycle management
- Ability to use a CI/CD pipeline to deploy applications on AWS
- Ability to use or interact with AWS services
- Ability to apply a basic understanding of cloud-native applications to write code
- Ability to write code using AWS security best practices (e.g., not using secret and access keys in the code, instead using IAM roles)
- Ability to author, maintain, and debug code modules on AWS
- Proficiency writing code for serverless applications
- Understanding of the use of containers in the development process
There are no mandatory knowledge and experience requirements for attempting the exam. AWS had originally placed restrictions on the levels of certifications. AWS required that every professional complete the previous level of certification before they could attempt the next level. However, it has since removed that restriction. Professionals can attempt the certification that most resonates with the job role. This transition is important because it allows professionals to choose certifications at any point in their career depending on the specialization of their role.
Learning Path for the AWS Developer Associate Certification
This learning path is designed for software developers who want to learn how to develop cloud applications on AWS. The learning progression that is mentioned under this is, by no means, a compulsory routine. Amazon recommends that you follow the progression for passing the exam successfully. However, if you’re more experienced in your role, you need not follow this progression. You can always take a couple of practice exams if you need and sit for the main exam.
AWS Technical Essentials
Learn the fundamentals of identifying AWS services so that you can make informed decisions about IT solutions based on your business requirements – Classroom | 1 day (1)
Developing on AWS
In this course, you will learn how to use the AWS SDK to develop secure and scalable cloud applications. We will explore how to interact with AWS using code and discuss key concepts, best practices, and troubleshooting tips – Classroom | 3 days
Exam Readiness: AWS Certified Developer – Associate
Join this intermediate-level workshop to prepare for the exam. Explore the exam’s topic areas and how they map to developing on AWS and to specific areas to study – Classroom | 4 hours
AWS Certified Developer – Associate
This exam validates an examinee’s ability to demonstrate an understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices – Exam | 130 minutes
Advanced Developing on AWS
This course covers advanced development topics such as architecting for a cloud-native environment, and deconstructing on-premises, legacy applications and repackaging them into cloud-based, cloud-native architectures – Classroom | 3 days
The progression also issues an optional training. The word optional is important because Cloud Practitioner is a foundational level exam. While, previously, this would have been a prerequisite, AWS has since downgraded it to a recommended training. That means, if you feel your role will benefit from the Developer certification, you can always pick that certification. So the optional training is
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
This exam enables individuals with an overall understanding of the AWS Cloud to validate their knowledge with an industry-recognized credential. This exam covers four domains, including: cloud concepts, security, technology, and billing and pricing – Exam | 90 minutes
About the Exam
The exam is for 130 minutes – a little over 2 hours. It is conducted at a testing centre or through a proctored means. The AWS Certified Developer – Associate (DVA-C01) has a scaled score between 100 and 1,000. The minimum scaled score needed to pass the exam is 720. AWS does not reveal how many questions are there.
However, from extrapolating enough numbers, we can guess that the questions are about 65 give or take 5 questions. In the same way, the total pass percentage is not known but it is 65% – 70% on average. The exam is conducted in English, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese. The exam costs 150 USD
Where to get Online Resources for the Exam?
There are several training providers that offer the required training. AWS’s learning path guides users on how they should prepare for the exam. It’s website also offers several resources such as FAQs, White papers, practice exams (which costs 20 USD per exam), study guides, and access to other resources. In addition to that, there are other training providers like Udemy, Simpli Learn, Cloud Guru, Edx, Plural Sight, and many more. Each of them have set their own method and modes of teaching.
Providers like Udemy give a disclaimer that their training course is not meant for teaching people how to code. The introduction to coding will be provided as part of the notes that it provides via GitHub. The course is meant to supplement the candidate’s preparation for the exam.
Salary for AWS Certified Developer Associate
The average salary for AWS Certified Developer Associate is $115000. The pay scale ranges between $90000 and $130000. The range depends on the experience and the relevance of the certification with the role that a person is in.