Overview of the Certification
AWS is the pioneer in public cloud. To this day, over 67% of all cloud-based infrastructure is through AWS cloud services. The demand for AWS-certified professionals is high considering the increase in the usage of cloud services. To keep with the demand, AWS has introduced several certifications, each catering to a different level of professionals. The certifications that AWS currently offers are
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
- AWS Certified Developer – Associate
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
These certifications cover the elements of AWS cloud-based services. The foundational-level certification is merely an introduction into cloud services. AWS recommends 6 months as the required experience. For intermediate-level certifications, it recommends 1 year of experience.
In the professional-level certifications, 2 years is the recommended experience. SysOps Administrator and Developer certifications are combined in the professional-level certifications into the DevOps Engineer certification. In addition to this, AWS also offers certain specializations that are outside these segments
- AWS certified Advanced Networking Specialty
- AWS certified Security Specialty
- AWS certified Machine learning specialty
- AWS certified Alexa skill builder specialty
- AWS certified data analytics specialty
- AWS certified database specialty
Is This Course Right for You?
The AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate examination is intended for systems administrators in a systems operations role with at least one year of experience in deployment, management, and operations on AWS.
Recommended Articles ;
What are the Abilities Validated by SysOps
- Deploy, manage, and operate scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant systems on AWS
- Implement and control the flow of data to and from AWS
- Select the appropriate AWS service based on compute, data, or security requirements
- Identify appropriate use of AWS operational best practices
- Estimate AWS usage costs and identify operational cost control mechanisms
- Migrate on-premises workloads to AWS
What are the Eligibility Criteria For AWS SysOps Certification ?
Previously, AWS used to insist that professionals complete the certifications in the previous level before attempting a level. However, it has since removed that restriction and candidates are now free to choose any certification as their job recommends. That being said, AWS does prescribe some criteria and requirements. These are by no means compulsory. However, to get the best out of the course, it is advised that candidates use these
- Understanding of the AWS tenets – architecting for the cloud
- Hands-on experience with the AWS CLI and SDKs/API tools
- Understanding of network technologies as they relate to AWS
- Understanding of security concepts with hands-on experience in implementing security controls and compliance requirements
- Understanding of virtualization technology
- Monitoring and auditing systems experience
- Knowledge of networking concepts (e.g., DNS, TCP/IP, and firewalls)
- Ability to translate architectural requirements
About the Exam
The exam is conducted either at a testing centre or online, through proctored means. It consists of about 70-80 multiple-choice questions although this has not been confirmed by AWS. In addition, the questions could have multiple answers as well. The exam costs 150 USD while the practice exam costs 20 USD. You have 130 minutes – slightly over 2 hours to complete the exam. The passing score is around 70%. This too has not been confirmed by AWS. This is extrapolated from the general statistics about the exam.
Learning Path for SysOps Administrator – Associate
This learning path is designed for sysops administrators, systems administrators, and those in a DevOps role who want to learn how to create automatable and repeatable deployments of applications, networks, and systems on the AWS platform
The recommended progression for this certification is
AWS Technical Essentials
Learn the fundamentals of identifying AWS services so that you can make informed decisions about IT solutions based on your business requirements – Classroom | 1 day
Systems Operations on AWS
This course is designed to teach those in a systems administrator or Development Operations (DevOps) role how to create automatable and repeatable deployments of networks and systems on the AWS platform – Classroom | 3 days
Exam Readiness: AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
Prepare by exploring the exam’s topic areas and how they map to SysOps on AWS and to specific areas to study. Reviews sample exam questions in each topic area and learn how to interpret the concepts being tested so that you can more easily eliminate incorrect responses – Classroom | 4 hours
AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate
The AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate exam validates technical expertise in deployment, management, and operations on the AWS platform – Exam | 130 minutes
In addition to that, AWS also recommends an optional training
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
This exam enables individuals with an overall understanding of the AWS Cloud to validate their knowledge with an industry-recognized credential. This exam covers four domains, including: cloud concepts, security, technology, and billing and pricing.
Exam | 90 minutes
What are the Salary and Job Prospects for this Certification?
In North America, the average salary of an AWS Certified SysOps Administrator is about $130,610. As per a recent salary survey from Global Knowledge, the average yearly salary of an AWS Amazon Certifications holder is $113,932
Where to Get Online Resources for the Exam?
AWS’s learning path provides a detailed guide on how to approach the exam. In addition to this, AWS’s website for each certification offers a detailed structure on how to approach the exam. It has several resources to prepare for the exam.
AWS offers practice exams, white papers, FAQs, the possibility of finding forums, guide to relevant reading material and a lot of other training resources. In addition to this, several other providers like KnowledgeHut, Simpli Learn, Global Knowledge all offer the relevant resources for the exam