There is a list of things you should keep in mind in order to develop a career as a mechanic. It does not matter whether you are a full-time mechanic or freelance mechanic, these things will eventually decide whether you will enjoy a successful professional life. Know how to become a freelance mechanic.
In this article, we will provide a simple guide to all those people who wish to become a freelance mechanic, but find themselves without adequate direction. This guide will answer some basic questions which you should ask yourself before you actually start your journey as a freelance mechanic.
Without further ado, here are those questions we just mentioned
1. Why Should You Become A Freelance Mechanic?
This is the first question you should ask yourself before you do anything. Knowing your motivation behind such a decision is necessary, and for that, you must find an answer to this question.
There are several benefits attributable to being a freelance mechanic.
- First of all, you will get to work with all kinds of automobiles; provide assistance in the maintenance of necessary aspects of vehicles which many people find difficult or time-consuming such as changing tires, fixing faults and changing brake pads.
If cars and motorbikes are your hobbies, then you will get to work with them as well as earn money.
- Another advantage of being a freelance mechanic is that you will have discretion in deciding your rates, have greater mobility, and flexibility. You will get all the profits to keep, and you do not need to share your income with any agency.
You can choose the number of work hours, location of work and other things without unnecessary interference from any external authority.
2. What Are The Necessary Requisites For Being A Freelance Mechanic?
A mechanic is expected to possess a working knowledge of various types of vehicles. Clients usually stipulate minimum educational qualification which is generally a degree in mechanical engineering.
However, if you have been maintaining a long-running family business or have certificates from credible courses, then clients might hire you.
Apart from this, you are expected to possess a selection of the latest equipment and work attire. You should possess either a garage or a spacious vehicle that allows you to carry around tools wherever you go to work.
You need to maintain reasonable contact with clients, and therefore, a mobile phone and computer system are preferable. Also, maintain the necessary paperwork that you can produce whenever asked by the client.
One really important thing requiring your attention is the structure of your business. You need to decide whether you want to work on a contractual basis or as a limited company director. Both ways have their respective benefits: the former is more flexible whereas the latter offers better rewards, though there is more paperwork required.
3. Do You Need To Have an Online Presence?
Yes, you must have an online presence. Today, the freelance community largely operates from the virtual space. There is a huge and ever-growing online network of clients and freelancers whose benefits are plenty.
In order to establish yourself online, you will need profiles on major freelance websites such as guru.com, freelancer.com, upwork.com, and worknhire.com. Create informative profiles, upload your portfolio and apply for jobs suiting your interests.
While having accounts on these websites is a good idea, you should also consider owning a website. A personal website puts you in the public domain without any restriction access, as usually found in freelance websites. Everyone can know who you are, what you are willing to offer, and other details.
Apart from these, you should also join forums and communities which involve freelance mechanics. Engage in productive conversations, attend their meetings and build up connections for the purpose of expanding your career.
4. Where Can You Expect To Work?
Freelance mechanics do not usually operate from a garage, and in case you are starting fresh and do not have enough funds, then you may want to trade as a mobile business. When you travel to your clients, you will give more convenience to them who may contribute to your reputation and bring you more business.
While this sounds good, you should bear in mind that operating such a way involves the regular transportation of tools. So, you may have to expend more on fuel which might not sound great to those who are low on funds.
Whether you run a mobile business or a garage, there is nothing we can call right or wrong. Your decision will depend upon an array of factors such as time, available resources, the location of service, and whatnot.
[Also Read: How to be a Freelance Mechanical Engineer]
5. Where Should You Expect To Find Work?
Working as a freelance mechanic means that there will be a certain degree of uncertainty in the flow of work and income. There is no simple way of knowing where you will find work. However, there is one thing which you can do: market yourself. (1)
- Publish ads in local newspapers.
- Hand out flyers describing your services and other information to houses in your region.
- List yourself on regional business sites that let you connect with local clients.
- Create profile accounts on major freelance websites such as freelancer.com and guru.com.
- If you have sufficient funds, maintain an organized and interactive website for people to bring a universal appeal to your services.
- Join local forums and communities formed by fellow mechanics.
- Talk to your friends and family and ask them to recommend you to their friends and relatives.
- Maintain contacts with your former clients, as they can recommend you to other people they know.
6. What About Handling Accounts?
It does not matter whether the flow of income is regular or not; you should consider maintaining accounts. However, the task is complicated and accounting is quite a foreign language to many people, even those who have been freelancing for years.
It is recommended that you hire services of professional accountants to do that job for you. In case you are running low on funds and cannot afford to hire an accountant, then you should study essential accounting skills to do the job for yourself.