Homeopathy is a form of alternative medicine to traditional medical practices used by doctors. Homeopathy is a medical science that follows the belief that the body can heal by itself without the interference of allopathy and herbal medicines.
Homeopathy treatment has magical curing abilities, without producing any side effects. You can be a homeopathy doctor if you are up for the rigorous challenge. It is a very interesting line of medical practice as you will get an opportunity to help people to feel better about their health and get emotional rewards in return.
If you want to know how to become a homeopathic doctor, this article will help you with tips, education needed, career options and course studies.
Getting To Know Homeopathy Treatment Better:
There are many possible ways to employ homeopathic practices. Generally, homeopathic doctors treat patients with small doses of diluted medication that address the symptoms of the illness, instead the causes.
Homeopathic medicines are prepared using a wide range of natural sources including: Plants, such as roots, seeds, flowers and berries; Minerals including metals, non-metals and their compounds; Diseased tissues, containing secretions of bacteria, viruses and microorganisms; Healthy tissues of human and animals; Animal sources, such as snake poison or spider poison in .00001 dose value and Imponderables, energy sources such as x-ray, radiation etc.
The solutions combined from the above sources encourage the body to fight off the illness and heal by itself. Most homeopathic doctors are self- employed, so you can consider it a freelance career naturally.
Just like Doctor of Medicine (MD), the path of becoming a homeopathic doctor is rigorous, yet highly rewarding. Most independent or freelance Homeopathy doctors earn as much as traditional doctors.
Experience in the field of health care, critical thinking, patience, active listening, complex problem solving and decision making skills are also needed apart from an official practicing license. You also have to be service & people oriented, rather than business minded.
Homeopathy Career – Education
- First of all, you have to decide on the kind of practice you want to have. Some of the career paths, pertaining to homeopathy include:
- Homeopathy Doctor
- Homeopathy Nurse (need degree but not an accredited four-year medical school practice)
- An acupuncturist or therapist who incorporates homeopathy methods.
- A traditional doctor who uses homeopathic techniques in practice
- Second step is finding out the pre-requisite subjects. Not all homeopathic medical schools require a bachelor’s degree or scientific background in school higher studies. But having covered the grounds will only put you in an advantageous position.
Before you choose your subjects, find out what the pre-requisites are for securing a seat in your chosen medical institution. Most colleges or graduate programs look for credits in the following subjects in a promising applicant:
- Physiology and
- Any other subject listed in the courseware
Getting An ND Degree
- Your fourth step would be completing a four year course of homeopathy education from an accredited institution. The ND degree course is similar to traditional medical studies which involve theories and rigorous medical practicing.
At the end of the course, you will be deemed as a suitable candidate for a licence to practice. Make sure the college or university you choose leads you towards your goal.
You can also study homeopathy from non-accredited homeopathic schools and training programs. However, you cannot get yourself licenced or certified having only these degree programs.
- For clinical experience you can also complete residency. Although, it’s not compulsory for obtaining license, residencies can provide you invaluable experience before you start your freelance career.
You can complete your residency during the third and fourth year of your medical school or probably after finishing the degree.
- If not Residency, which is a compulsion for MDs, you can look for Homeopathic doctors in your locality who can let you to assist him or her in their practice. You will still get first hand supervised clinical experience.
Getting Your Licence
- However, all physicians, including NDs are needed to be licensed to start practicing. While, both MDs and DOs are required to first finish residencies and then pass Medical Licensing Examination, a Homeopathic candidate studying ND degree must pass the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam alone for obtaining the license.
Different organizations offer different types of certification exams. Once you have decided on which certification you want to get, you have to start preparing for the examination.
- Laws for licensing vary from state to state and country to country; there is no uniform licensing or certification standard for homeopathic doctors, other than getting certified to practice medicine.
- Homeopathic drugs can be brought without prescriptions as well, over the counter. There is no proper legal regulation that states who can recommend these treatments in a medical context.
It’s not only foggy but also varies from country to country. Although, Homeopathy is legal across most countries, you have to put an effort to protect your practice in your state.
- To get a license, do contact your state medical board or general attorney. DO NOT start practicing until you have registered with appropriate board or council in your state. Just because the medicines can be obtained over the counter, you cannot put people’s health and lives in jeopardy.
- Once you have gained the necessary degrees and licenses to practice Homeopathy, you should consider joining professional organizations. Understand that medicine is a continuous and evolving learning process.
You have to keep yourself educated about the latest inventions, laws and practices in the field. And the best way to keep yourself updated is through associations and communities.
- National and international homeopathy associations also give an opportunity to network with other medical practitioners and learn more about homeopathy. You have to be on a broader medical community and expand your knowledge to become an affiliated doctor.
Ways to expand knowledge include;
- Attend conferences and seminars
- Publish blogs or scholarly works
- Teach homeopathy classes and/or
- Supervise a homeopathy student
- Most Council of Homeopathic Certification requires doctors to take at least 20 hours of continuous education every year to maintain the certification and license. This ensures that the practicing doctor is up-to-date on the latest breakthroughs, trends, and innovations in the field.