Overview of the Certification
PRINCE2 (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a structured project management method and practitioner certification program. PRINCE2 emphasizes dividing projects into manageable and controllable stages. PRINCE2 advocates 6 aspects, also called tolerances or performance goals. They quantify project tolerance and are considered during decision-making processes. In some organizations, these can be KPIs. In the following table, project-level tolerances are summarized.
The PRINCE2 qualification
- Is a broad, high-level, general framework of project management principles, which means it is recommended for and can be implemented on just about any project.
- Has a well-laid out and standardized approach to project management.
- Spells out the roles and responsibilities of each member of the team tasked with managing the project.
- Divides the master project plan into project plans, stage plans, and team plans, which eliminates ambiguity and makes it easier to execute the project.
- It is both project and process focused.
PRINCE2 is based on seven principles and these cannot be tailored. The PRINCE2 principles can be described as a mindset that keeps the project aligned with the PRINCE2 methodology. If a project does not adhere to these principles, it is not being managed using PRINCE2.
- Continued Business Justification
- Learn from Experience
- Defined Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage by Stages
- Manage by Exception
- Focus on Products
- Tailor to Suit Project Environment
About the Certification
The PRINCE2 Foundation qualification is designed for aspiring project managers, project team members and those supporting project work. PRINCE2 is the leading “best practice” project management method that can be tailored to suit any type of working culture and any size of project in any industry.
The PRINCE2® certification scheme has two main levels, Foundation and Practitioner. The PRINCE2 Foundation Level introduces the PRINCE2 method. The Foundation certification aims to confirm that you know and understand the PRINCE2 method well enough to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2. The Foundation certification is also a prerequisite for the Practitioner certification. Refer to this link to understand more information about PRINCE2 6th edition.
PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is for anyone who is managing projects as part of their role. This could be as part of a formal project management function or a role in which project management is an inherent part of day to day work. The purpose of the Practitioner certification is to confirm whether you have sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios. Refer to this link(1) for more information.
PRINCE2 Practitioner certificate is valid for three years, at the end of which a re-sit of the Practitioner exam or maintenance through My PRINCE2 can be chosen. To remain current through My PRINCE2 you must meet the following criteria within the three-year period:
- Join My PRINCE2 within three months of passing your exam and remain subscribed for the three-year period by renewing the subscription each year.
- Maintain your PRINCE2 digital badge which will be awarded as part of My PRINCE2 for the three-year period. You will need to record 20 CPD points each year, in the prescribed categories, for the badge to be extended on renewal.
About the Exam
There are two routes towards obtaining the PRINCE2 certifications; you can:
- Sit the exams at the end of a training course with an Accredited Training Organization (ATO), or
- Study privately and then book the exam without a training course with PeopleCert, our PRINCE2 Examination Institute.
You must pass the Foundation examination before taking any Practitioner examination. If you have previously passed the Foundation examination or one of the certifications approved as prior learning, you qualify to take the Practitioner examinations without needing to re-sit the Foundation. Most training providers offer the exams as part of the training courses only. The cost can be as low as 300 USD and as high as 1000 USD depending on the training provider and the nature of the service they provide.
Since Axelos is not a certifying body or a training provider, the partners set their own fees and rates for the training they offer.
Recommended Articles ;
Benefits of Prince2 Certification
- With PRINCE2 training, a professional learns and begins to deploy better, more efficient Project Management skills.
- You’ll learn the methodology, terminology, framework, common systems, and procedures used by a large number of project managers, and learn all the skills needed to successfully plan, initiate, monitor, manage, and execute projects
- Unlike other PMP certification (i.e. PMP, IPMA) PRINCE2 lays greater emphasis upon the set of Project Management principles it encompasses than upon following an instruction book with a rigid set of rules.
- PRINCE2 offers the unique advantage that you can start by preparing for the PRINCE2 Foundation exam only. This means that you can do a real Project Management certification without committing yourself to a huge amount of training time and high costs.
- Once you have completed the training, all you need to do is take the exam with your training provider or take a public exam. There are no time consuming and complicated registration processes and no audit process of your application is needed, like it is, for example, when applying for the PMP exam.
- PRINCE2 certified project managers earn an average salary of over GBP50,000 and are among the most prized professionals in Europe.
- Developed in the public IT sector under the supervision of the UK government, PRINCE2 is today the de facto Project Management standard in many parts of the world
- Roles and responsibilities in PRINCE2 projects are clearly defined and shared within the project organization. So even if the Project Manager obviously always plays an important role in a project’s success or
[ Suggested Read: Best Project Management Tools for Freelancers ]
Where to Get Online Resources for the Exam?
There are several training providers that offer the required training and resources for the exam. Axelos is not a training provider, so it does not offer the actual training. But providers like Udemy, SimpliLearn, KnowledgeHut, Cloudx Labs all provide the required resources, training, and other resources. Many of them provide material for online learning and self-study as well. Apart from this, there might be several other local providers that might offer the course. A simple search and their accreditation with Axelos will offer you the required information.