A freelance makeup artist is an individual who performs make up on clients on a freelance basis rather than working for a beauty salon on a permanent employment basis. This means that anyone who works on per order basis and not under an employer to provide make up services can be referred to as a freelance makeup artist. Freelance artist have more of a flexible and comfortable job and develop their own clientele who can request services either through a phone call or email etc.
Any person who works as a freelance makeup artist may either perform duties at the home or address of the client or may set up his own studio and then perform the services there. These individuals may charge clients on the basis of services, quality of products and duration of the services. The basic duties of a freelance makeup artist are no different from a regular permanently employed artist. If you are interested in becoming a freelance makeup artist, then the following information will help you:
Job Duties for Freelance Makeup Artist:
A freelance makeup artist may have to perform a number of duties like makeuping the model scout on a day to day basis.. If you are interested in becoming a freelance makeup artist, then you will need to fulfil the following given job duties and responsibilities:
- The basic job duty of a makeup artist is to provide facial make up and body make up services using cosmetic and other products.
- Assessing the skin type of the client and determine which make up products to use is a duty.
- Preparing the skin for makeup by doing cleansing, toning and moisturizing is also an important task of a freelance makeup artist.
- Using tools such as sponges, brushes and other materials is also needed.
- The makeup artist may also be responsible for doing the hair styling, if it falls within his/her area of expertise.
- To develop a clientele through promotions or word of mouth is another duty.
- Applying for jobs through various portals or by making phone calls to prospective employees is yet another duty.
- To perform eye makeup, lip make up, media make up, bridal make up, party make up, light make up, dark make up are also duties of a freelance makeup artist.
- To collect payment after services are provided is also a duty.
Only if you possess the right skills and creativity can you really become a makeup artist or a freelance makeup artist. The following are some of the necessary skills needed to be in this profession:
- Knowledge of different skin types and the makeup products suitable is a needed skill.
- A freelance makeup artist must be creative, artistic and bold enough to try new things.
- Must have stamina and fitness as this job requires long hours of standing and working without taking breaks.
- Knowledge of different products, make up brands, brushes and other tools is also vital.
- Having good communication skills to be able to talk and communicate with clients is extremely important.
- Ability to work on deadlines and take pressure well is also a skill needed by a freelance makeup artist.
Being successful as a Freelance Makeup Artist:
To be a successful freelance makeup artist, you must not only be artistic by nature but should also have a passion for this field of work. It may be a freelancing job, but requires as much hardwork and efforts to really build a brand image. If you wish to know more about the same, you can go through the following information.
- You must be willing to experiment with different products, ideas, looks and colors in order to develop your own style rather than following the crowd.
- You must purchase your own make up kit and make sure it is of good quality.
- Practice as much as you can and create a strong portfolio.
- To be successful in this field, you must offer better yet competitive rates as compared to other artists in the same field and try and build a rapport with all your clients so that they are interested in reusing your services.
- Make convincing proposals to clients and communicate well with them to know what exactly they are looking for in your make up services.
- Offer that additional touch of friendliness, comfort and quality so as to attract maximum clients.
- Use online portals like Elance.com or O-desk to find work and send your proposals to clients looking for freelance make up services.
The very fact that most people these days are interested in using the internet for finding services and service providers makes the prospects within freelance makeup artist field very bright and interesting. There is a lot of scope for an artist, given demand for quality make up services not only at beauty salons but also in fields like media, fashion, entertainment and others. Infact most of these industries heavily rely on makeup services and so does fashion photography where photographers may need freelance makeup artists for their projects.
Entry level freelancers can expect to earn a maximum salary of $17740 per year which translates to $8.73 per hour. Those at higher levels can expect to earn an average salary of $15000 to $30000 per year.
Being able to find maximum work is the very secret of the trade as far as freelance makeup artists are concerned. Entry level artists can start off by searching for jobs at bridal parties, theatres or by volunteering at local photo studies. By using these opportunities to do maximum networking and building a client list is a good idea if you wish to become a freelance makeup artist. For those who have gained a few months of experience in this field can build a portfolio on online freelance work finding websites such as Elance, Freelancer.com or O-Desk.com. These websites bring together service providers as well as those who are looking for services and are a great way to promote, advertise or sell your services. Banking on the word of mouth is a smart way to find more clients.
For more information on Freelance Makeup Artist please visit www.careerlancer.net